After months of putting it off, I finally sat down tonight to code a responsive design for this site. It took me about four hours on-and-off, but I’m proud to say that the design is done, and ericleamen.com is now fully responsive and looks great in a smartphone browser! If you don’t have a smartphone, try shrinking your browser window and behold the magic of a responsive design! I’ll give you a minute…
Coding the responsive design was, to be honest, a little trickier than I anticipated. Seeing as I did not write this theme myself, I was literally converting someone else’s code which got to be a little confusing in spots. Thank goodness I’ve spent plenty of time ripping apart and customizing this theme - after tonight, I basically know it inside and out. I still can’t believe that it used to look like this. And I’ll admit: even though the site looks great, I’m fairly certain I broke a few web design “best practices” along the way. Please don’t tell the Validator.
Anyway, a few hundred lines of HTML and CSS later and my site is finally responsive. I’ve only coded a smartphone design for now, but the fullscreen site looks pretty good on an iPad anyway. I might make some tablet-specific tweaks in the future. We’ll see.
If you notice any egregious design errors or bugs in the responsive design, please let me know!